In my quest to apply the principles of Network and Global Learning (NGL) to my practice, and perhaps transform it, I have engaged with peers, friends, family and clients to help me identify the challenges that I will face as my practice evolves, particularly as I begin to conceptualise providing my service to students beyond my local context, and delivering a writing program in an online format.
In contrast to an earlier problem about how to effectively deliver online tutoring, I have now reformulated my research questions to encapsulate the issue of how to engage my students in a comprehensive writing program that has been specifically designed to develop their writing skills. This program will be designed to prepare my students for higher education and will not require them to work with me in a face-to-face context. Therefore, my problem is how to deliver my writing program to students that are not able to come to my practice, and in particular, how do I deliver something that is just as engaging as if my clients were there beside me. The issue of engagement and effectiveness has been a real issue, as many of my students like working with me and are concerned about the effectiveness of online programs.
To reformulate my earlier DBR questions (as I am no longer only focusing on the issues with online tutoring), my research question, as informed by Bakker's (2014) list of criteria for creating a good research question, does address my current knowledge gap (i.e. how to provide an immersive writing program for clients that enjoy the benefits of face-to-face tutoring). It is also "pragmatically and theoretically" relevant as the development of a program of learning is something that I had been creating and refining for quite some time (as I have designed and created resources that I have been using with students for over four years and is something I really enjoy). For this reason I perceive an online program as not only beneficial to online students but will also improve my practice overall.
I think my research question will also be of use to other practitioners, particularly those who desire to deliver their own course or program online, and want it to be as engaging as face-to-face. My research questions are also "precise and anchored" in the literature as the majority of papers or articles that I have read on online learning discuss the issue of immersion, and how to create contexts where learners feel just as engaged as they would be with the teacher right beside them. Lastly, my question is "manageable" as it is something that I can achieve, and something that I aim to implement and evaluate as my program evolves.
Thus, as suggested by Bakker (2014) the following research questions will guide the development of my proposal as they ask about the "characteristics" of my proposed intervention:
What are the design characteristics for practicable and effective online writing programs that enable students to learn as effectively as face-to-face learning?
and
How can online learning strategies and approaches, aimed at providing students with the same level of engagement as face-to-face tutoring, be structured?
I have also attached my Google Doc that illustrates the developing construction of my DBR Proposal. It is a draft copy (and is only in its skeletal framework) and any feedback on this post or the Doc will be very much appreciated. I would particularly appreciate feedback on the articulation of my problem, and whether it is clear and specific enough. I would also like any ideas about possible interventions (strategies or approaches) that help create engaging online learning programs, particularly your experiences and what worked or did not work and why.
Thank you kindly in advance. :)
References:
Bakker, A. (2014). Research Questions in Design-Based Research (pp. 1–6). Retrieved from http://www.fi.uu.nl/en/summerschool/docs2014/design_research_michiel/Research Questions in DesignBasedResearch2014-08-26.pdf
Hi Annelise, as I am reading your proposal, I am reminded of a few fields/ideas that you might like to explore a bit more as you think about your "problem" ( I think you have framed the problem very well by the way)
ReplyDelete1. You come at this problem from an epistemological position about learning (and teaching)- that learning is a relational act- learning is about connections, emotions, dispositions, relationships i.e. it is "social" You need to be aware of that in the framing and enacting of your research.
2. I am reminded of the design thinking literature which suggests that knowledge as practised in the world is going to be more important for innovation than traditional ways of knowing "about the world. Design thinking approaches emphasize the importance of deep understanding of and empathy with the user (ie the student) and that understanding needs to be constantly evaluated and integrated into the response (ie the program). In design thinking approaches, there is no one correct solution- just better or worse solutions and these need to be iteratively informed by constant evaluation and prototyping. Understanding the how and why of student experiences will be very important.
I'll think some more about this and send you some literature you can look at. However, your experience in seeing the world through the eyes of diverse students is as important as any literature :)
Lovely, thank you Pauline. As soon as I read your post I was researching your ideas and I thought "wow" there is so much potential.
DeleteI agree that my epistemological stance is very much social and I think this is why situated pedagogy, as informed by critical thinking though, is so appealing to me. I enjoy the connections that I have with students, and I can see that it does enhance the learning process. You're so right in that my experience with diverse students has also been shaping my perception of online learning so far.
Design thinking literature sounds very much situationally-based in its approach, and also essential to the future of learning, particularly if people are going to be adaptive and more entrepreneurial in their focus. I like how it focuses on innovation and creativity, something that realises possibilities rather than focuses on replicating more of the same. I can see how gaming can also inform my research on user experience as games are the ultimate in providing immersion.
Lots of food for thought, and I will take all this with me throughout my research.
Thanks again,
Annelise
Hi Annelise, I would like to put forward some experiences of online and distance learning and link them to your proposals. Many years ago I did a masters by distance learning, literally via postal correspondence. I could email a tutor but I did not even know my tutor's name for most subjects. It was 18 months of drudgery, even though I enjoyed the topic, the delivery was not engaging and I felt I was just another "external" student on a long list. Now I am studying education externally as you know. If my tutors are based at the uni in my town, I ALWAYS go into their office to meet them and introduce myself. Something transformational happens after this, I no longer feel like "one of their externals" and I find them more approachable on email afterwards. So what is it about having met someone face to face who will be tutoring you? For the student, it is important, you feel "known", understood, and a "real" student who cannot be ignored. I believe through experiencing contact with tutors through Collaborate and with yourself on skype, that some contact in this way is essential to many students. When you offered to skype me I was surprised, but I think it created a connection and an understanding between tutor and student that could only exist to a certain extent through email and videos. As you point out in this blog, one of the issues is the question of how you have to manage these interactions. Many online students are "night owls", if they were not working or looking after small children they are studying (and are tired and stressed!), so you would have to ensure a balance in your own work/home life. If you did not have some boundaries, you would end up with less empathy and understanding for your students. However, the odd evening one to one skype does wonders to a stressed and confused student, but can be balanced with set sessions online which I think are wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI could not open the document but I will try again and will certainly keep checking in here. I just wanted to get you some initial feedback as quickly as I could.
Hi Anne,
DeleteYour feedback is invaluable and I couldn't be more appreciative. I can very much relate with your experiences as I have also had the same types of experiences. I enjoyed our skype sessions just as much and felt that it provided connection with you and I also enjoyed reading your posts more because I knew you personally. I think this is pivotal, this one-on-one connection.
I agree that boundaries are necessary as the teacher could become too immersed within their role, and have no work/life balance. It is definitely about finding that "sweet spot." This is something that I will also need to consider in the development and implementation of my program.
Thank you for sharing your experiences, they have provided me with much to consider, and also have validated my experiences.
Annelise :)
Hi Annelise,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that one of the biggest problems for online study is the creation of an engaging learning environment.
For the past decade I have been studying at various levels with different institutions and in this time I have not seen a lot of change in the delivery of online content. It was originally boring and remains a very boring way of learning. My first preference when studying it to be in an engaging environment, typically on campus. However I choose online learning due to the limited time I can dedicate not to the course but to the unproductive time of travelling to and from the education institution. By studying online I have a greater opportunity to utilise this time more effectively.
The problem that I have found with two of the three tertiary institutions I have studied online with is that the online delivery is dreadfully boring. Different institutions using the same format; the subject content is segmented into weekly units which you read accompanied by recommended textbook and academic readings. Generally a question regarding the topic is posted for weekly discussion, robotic responses come up on the discussion board and if you're lucky the lecturer may answer your questions sometimes before the end of the week. I find this so uninspiring.
Endeavour College however is a different story. Their VET courses follow the format I mention above but their High Ed courses are delivered in a way that you feel like you are attending a virtual classroom. I found myself recently describing when I first met my lecturer at Endeavour. The fact is I have never met him, it just felt like I had as every week he presented class webinars and we had that human interaction.
Not only was he very casual in his delivery, he would choose different locations to do the online lecture; in cafes with a cup of coffee, in parks with his lunch or on a bench outside. He was laid back and very comfortable in front of the camera, there was no script he was reading or had rehearsed earlier. It felt like he was an equal who was sharing his knowledge with peers and you were there sitting beside him.
His delivery of information in this manner removed any intimidation I have felt from previous lecturers allowing my learning to improve as I was not afraid to ask questions or challenge his opinion. I understand the college followed this format for most of their content for online learners. So refreshing and a real dynamic and innovative way for online students to learn.
I look forward to learning more about your endeavours.
Hello my healthy body guardian :))
DeleteI totally resonate with your experiences as well. The issues of learner engagement is something that has been on my mind for quite sometime, even as a high school teacher when I was beginning to place a lot of lesson content online and was using a blended learning approach (online combined with face-to-face teaching).
I, for the same reason that you have stated, decided to do my masters online. It does save so much more time, and I am even finding with my students that they lack the time to even see me to help out with assignment work.
I have also found the delivery of content to very much the same across the majority of platforms that I see students using. I often end up traversing these platforms as the student may give me access while I am with them in a session. I am often amazed how in the last ten years, as you highlight, it is pretty much the same. In 2004 I was using an LMS (Blackboard) to learn and a discussion board to post ideas, and as you highlight, many of the "discussions" were so mechanical in nature. This is certainly an issue, and I wonder how to get around this.
I love your example of the teacher in Endeavour College, as it has reaffirmed the importance of authenticity. I think when you feel like the person has your best interests at heart and is the "real deal" you will want to engage, at least this is how it has been for me.
Thank you again my fellow guardian :D
Hi Annelise,
ReplyDeleteFor me a really engaging online course would have to include youtube videos and some Skype time with you as I am a visual learner.
At the moment I am doing my diploma online, and I am finding it hard to get motived to complete my assignments. Interacting with you once a week keeps me on top of my work and also I feel that you are preparing me for when I do more advance study in the future.
I find social interaction very important, for me as a visual learner. When you tutor me, I feel that I am improving that little bit more each time I see you. You have taught me the basic skills I need for writing all types of genres.
I am very excited to see your online learning program develop.
Thank you!
Jasmine
Hi Jasmine,
DeleteThank you for your lovely input. I agree, as I work the same way and need the visual elements too. I think my prolific viewing of youtube videos shows it too. :)
I'm glad to hear that you find the sessions worthwhile, I enjoy being with you even more.
Annelise xo
Hi Annelise,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, the way you have framed your questions and justified them is crystal clear and easy to follow. I guess it helps when you're a writing tutor;-). You've identified a very relevant issue here and you've narrowed down your research question to something that seems achievable within the scope of this project.
In terms of some ideas for an intervention, I was wondering whether it would be possible to create small groups (of say 3-5) students who can share their writing and learn how to comment on each others' posts (if you use a kind of blogging system). You could facilitate the process, model good practice, etc. to make sure that students stay on task, make improvements and so on. This may seem very obvious, but I do see blogging as a very powerful tool for students to improve their writing skills, provided that they have an audience... Having an audience or not is probably the thing that is going to separate an engaging online course from a stale and boring one. The more interaction with others, the more I've experienced to be engaged in my online courses.
Crowdsourcing is also is an important skill for students to learn in this day and age. Have you heard of Quadblogging. Google David Mitchell- Quadblogging and you'll come across some videos on Youtube that may give you an idea of how people have generated little groups of 4 classes across the globe to interact through blogs, and the impact it had on these students' writing skills.
In the creative arts crowdsourcing initiatives and collaborative artworks are being used more and more nowadays... Writing, of course, is also a form of art and creativity. For example, check out the crowdsourced writing project We Feel Fine and the visual arts project 1000 Tears.
Hope this gives you some ideas…
Good luck!
Mari
Wow, you're awesome Mari, you're ideas are incredibly helpful. In fact, I think I'll do just that. I've been using blogger in my practice with a select group of students but they have all been separate and do not know each other, except two of them.
ReplyDeleteWould you be able to also provide feedback on Phase II when I finally post it. :)
Regards,
Annelise
Great! If you are looking for a great connection that I happen to stumble upon when I was doing research for my proposal, check out http://theresalchristensen.com/
ReplyDeleteTheresa Christensen is a secondary English teacher with specialization in tech integration... she has worked with class blogs for a few years and is facilitating some courses on starting a class blog... I found many useful links on her site. She answered to my comments and seemed keen to connect her classes with mine in the future... I actually thought that you guys might be able to connect quite well. Have a look at her blog site TLC - Technology, literacy, Collaboration and also her class blog "The excellent endeavours of english class" http://tlcteach.edublogs.org/
You might find something useful there... Her work has been quite an important source of info for my plan of intervention... which, by the way, I will post soon, because I'm basically done... have spent my whole 9-day Diwali break on this last paper... but I'm done with my Masters now and feel as light as a feather ;-) Two years and 7 months of having almost no weekends!
Speak soon, Mari
Although I am not a person who enjoys online learning, I agree it is a great idea for those who prefer it.
ReplyDeleteAs online learning puts the majority of the responsibility on to the student to learn and motivate themselves it can be difficult to be consistent. When I have struggled with motivation the task at hand all seems to difficult which results in a low standard of work.
I think regular contact such as 10 - 15 minute check in with students would keep people 'on track'.
I agree, as there are certainly those challenges with online learning. I think nothing beats the face-to-face interaction that learning with others brings, there is also all the links one makes. Making those links with online learners poses a lot more challenges.
DeleteI like the idea of personally connecting with students online too. Thank you for your input. :)