What I have realised is important for anyone about to write a novel is having a PKM routine. What is a PKM routine you ask? In a previous blog I wrote about how a writer, or anyone who is regularly blogging about something they love, will need to have achieved Personal Knowledge Mastery. In order to achieve this mastery they would need to have a routine, albeit an evolving one, but nevertheless a routine that enables them to research, keep track of their research and organise their ideas.
If you're anything like me you may read about how others go about organising their writing day and establishing some kind of routine but you will always modify and adapt the suggestions to suit what works for you. This is why your PKM routine will be unique, it will be personalised to suit your lifestyle and will be something that will be realistic for you.
In the table below I have used Jarche's framework of: Seek > Sense > Share to illustrate my current PKM blogging and writing routine. I do have my preferred tools but occasionally, and due to irresistible curiosity, I will venture off and use other tools, particularly if I think they are better. However, this is how it looks at the moment.
Annelise's PKM routine
PKM
|
PROCESS
|
TOOLS AND STRATEGIES
|
SEEK
|
Search
for information and for valued members of knowledge networks
|
·
Feedly
·
Chrome bookmarks
·
Google+
·
Facebook
·
Reddit
|
SENSE
|
Reflect
on and put into practice what I am learning
|
·
Write posts on my blog
·
Use Diigo and Mendeley to make notes and categorise
the information
·
Write my novel
|
SHARE
|
Exchange
resources, ideas and experiences with my networks
|
·
Blog
·
Google+
·
Diigo
·
Mendeley
|
As you can see from the above table I use Feedly as my aggregator for my preferred blogs and newsfeeds. I get most of my news from Facebook, Reddit, and, of course, friends and family. I avoid watching television and occasionally may listen to the radio in the car, but only when I don't have my phone to listen to Audible or Youtube. I, like Jarche, carefully select who I follow, as I am only interested in following those who share the insights, observations and commentary that will help me grow, or at least, keep me entertained. I also bookmark websites into particular categories using Chrome. Only within the last month have I shifted most of my focus on this blog.
It is through the blogging medium that I intend to share with my fellow bloggers or anyone who stops by. I see this blog as my online journal that records my ideas and something that will continually evolve. It will also hold me accountable, something that my paper journal never did. :)
What is your PKM routine? Do you have a writing routine?
No comments:
Post a Comment