Sunday, 10 August 2014
What to do when you are "different" to your peers?
The title of this blog is essentially about the age-old dilemma of how to handle being different to your peers. I chose the title as there is a temptation to try and be the same as others, to just try and "blend in" or "not stand out." However, I think everyone is fundamentally different to each other, as we are all unique, having idiosyncrasies that signal us out from the rest. The subject Networked and Global Learning (NGL), a course that I am studying, I believe, accentuates our differences whilst also embracing our similarities. It is effectively saying: "It is great to be different."
When I began completing a Masters in Learning and Development, an area of Education, I knew I would be studying with many different individuals. Now, a few weeks into NGL, I have found many "like-minded" peers who share a passion for learning and developing human potential. However, there is the "issue" of being so different that you stand out like a sore thumb. For one thing, at the moment, I am not a part of an institution, I am "institution-less." (Not a word, I know, but it gets the point across.) Whereas many of my peers are working in some sort of educational organisation. This is the first time I have actually become "self-employed" and it is definitely not for the feint-hearted. I am also a "creative" who is a bit of an "iconoclast" - a little resistant to the status quo.
There is one student that I identify with the most, Mari Marincowitz. She has identified herself as a South African Visual Arts teacher currently teaching at a Canadian International School (CIS) in Bangalore, India. On her blog (sm)art education network she outlines how she has very similar interests to me, such as engaging in a "healthy, active lifestyle" and taking part in "trekking adventures around the globe." Although I have not trekked around the world I have in many areas of Australia and my goal is to go hiking in many regions around the world. Mari also has a keen interest in the Arts and is very creative. I immediately found her interests, including the area that she wants to teach via her blog, as something that I would like to learn about. She is teaching how to "use oil paint as a medium in Visual Arts." I would love to know about that!
If I were to identify individuals who I have the least in common on the course it would have to be some of the students who have more of an educational technology focus. These include Brendon Willocks of iThink, iTeach, iTeens and Philip Wong of Dreamsys. Although I love the latest innovations in technology and always want to be up-to-date, I find that the whole field of educational technology too dry and lacking meaning. This is meant in no way as a "put down," as we just have different interests and are different people. I find the only time I will read anything on information and communication technologies is if there is something in relation to where the higher education sector is heading or if someone has a very strong opinion about the area. What I do like, though, is having interactions with these students as they keep me up-to-date and we do share an interest in lifelong learning and learning design.
So, what to do when you are different to your peers? Well, as I have expressed, no one is completely different. We all share some similarities and some differences to our peers. What the course encourages is this difference. It says to me in very loud words, embrace your uniqueness and share that with the world.
References:
Herald, M. (2014). Do You Dare to be Different [Online image]. Retrieved October 10, 2014 from http://www.inspiredgiftgiving.com/do-you-dare-to-be-different
Labels:
As student
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Annelise,
ReplyDeleteYour ideas, creativity and interests also struck a chord with me! I'll write all about that soon.
Mari
That's great Mari, I look forward to reading all about it. :)
ReplyDelete