Friday, 1 August 2014

Me as learner

The subject NGL has inspired me to write my first novel. Although I already have some ideas on what I would like to write about, and have created a rough outline of a possible plot, and began writing the introduction, as all budding writers do, I believed that over the next few months I would need to leave the creative writing dream on the proverbial "backburner" and begin again during the Christmas holidays. Luckily, this was not so and I am able to pursue my passion for writing whilst also completing my Masters. I couldn't ask for anything more; feels almost providential.

To write a novel one needs to have acquired not only effective writing skills but also a deep understanding of all the elements that combine to make a novel worthwhile reading. There are all the things from having real-world characters that the reader wants to learn more about to creating a world that is immersive, tantalising to the senses and illustrates some fundamental truths about life. To do all these things a writer needs to learn the tools of the trade, and the only way I can learn these tools is by becoming actively engaged with the novel writing community, which is massive.

I heard a writer the other day, and I'm not sure where, say that 80% of people want to write their own novel. I'm not so convinced about this percentage but what I do know is that it takes time and effort to master any skill, and I have the love of literature, particularly of writing, to see me through, even the darkest times... I've realised that regardless of where this venture leads me, it will improve my writing skills and will illustrate to me how to become actively engaged into a community of practice.

Due to the large community of writers on the web I know I will have no difficulties in meeting with like-minded writers, or obtaining the knowledge to write an engaging novel. My concern is the sheer magnitude of information that is available and how to navigate my way through. I need to be discerning in what I read and how I use that information to guide the creation of my craft. I also want to ensure that I credit particular writers and sources accurately and not be a, and dare I say it, an "Internet parasite!" Although there are challenges my passion for learning and sharing my love of ideas is what will enable me to overcome any potential hurdles.

What I'm grateful is the opportunity to engage in what I love. I really believe that the subject NGL has provided me with an avenue to do this. Initially I thought it was giving me the "permission" to learn a craft that I want to take beyond my engagement with the course. However, I now realise that rather than providing permission, NGL is illuminating the importance of learners learning what they most want or need to learn. This realisation has been the most powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment