Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Being an "extrovert" in an online world

The idea of being "connected" to others is very appealing to an extrovert. (As much as I hate labels this dichotomy seems to exist). I love the idea of being able to share my ideas with others and learn from them. However, what I am finding is that in an on-line world, where it can take some time to become connected, the extrovert, in contrast to the introvert, will struggle with the "silence."

I'm not saying that I'm not connected via social media, such as Facebook, Google+ and even LinkedIn, however, in contrast to blogging, all these formats do not involve real engagement with your ideas and they are usually with people you have met in real-life. Any interaction is often short and sweet and does not require too much sustained thought. As I thrive on conversation, the sharing of ideas and the opportunity to explore new ways of seeing the world, in the blogging world, much like the writing world, one can feel like he or she is in an echo chamber - hearing only their own voice...

My son, who is definitely an introvert, has his own Youtube channel and is very active on not only Youtube but also a large number of gaming forums. When I ask him how he feels he says he feels like he is part of the "You-tubing community." He says that he gets a lot of support, and although there is the occasional "troll" or "flamer" the community is proactive and are very ready to share their ideas and creative output.

My other son, who is pretty much a carbon copy of me, spends a lot of his time talking via Skype whilst playing games or navigating the web. He is much more social in his approach and finds gaming only interesting if he "can talk." The contrast between them both illustrates to me the challenge of being on-line for the extrovert. I think it is the same challenge that faces extroverted writers, who only make a small minority of the writing community.

This is one of the fundamental challenges that I am facing on this journey of becoming connected. Some of us may enjoy being on-line and not need as much conversation whereas others see that it is important but not as much. 

I think as I engage further into this journey I will take the advice of Sarah on her blog Yatopia. As an extrovert, she writes, we need to "fake it" till we make it. This includes blogging with other's in our company and sharing what we are blogging (writing) with friends and family.

I can do that! :)

2 comments:

  1. G'day Annelise, I wonder what if anything in the NGL literature might offer some help with this. i.e. is there anything about how to join/enter a community that might add to your plans to draw on your friends and family? David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    That's a very good suggestion and something that I am coming across in the literature. I will share how my attempts to join particular writing communities evolves?

    Regards,
    Annelise

    ReplyDelete