Monday, 18 August 2014

Commenting on assessment in NGL

As a student of NGL I was asked to take a look at the criteria for the first assessment task and "edit and comment upon" the criteria. The lecturer provided the course participants with the opportunity to "clarify and co-create how Assignment 1 is marked." As I've already mentioned in a previous article, I think this process is great. It encourages autonomy and a feeling that the assessment is authentic.

Taking a look at the criteria has elucidated for me the level of connection that needs to be established not only with my peers, but also with other networks as well as the course materials, and not to mention the thought-provoking posts by David, the lecturer of the course. I have hit the same issue that Goksu highlights about there being so much already shared via Diigo and Feedly. She writes:


On the flip side I worry about how much has already been shared via our NGL tools and how I will possibly keep across it all and still get all my reading and tasks completed. I just keep telling myself that I simply cant read everything that everyone has shared. Diigo actually claims to help people overcome information overload – so its ironic that I am viewing it as a source of information overload!
I agree as I feel like I am in the same situation as Goksu. It does feel like there is so much to keep tabs on, particularly engaging with peer's posts and reading some of the information that is shared via Diigo. It is a valuable tool, as Goksu highlights, but it does provide a lot of information that takes time to go through. The response by David was a relief. He says to "experiment with Diigo and see how it works" but not to feel that we would need to keep up with everything. That sounds realistic, and authentic, as in the real-world of networks, in contrast to traditional forms of assessment, it wouldn't be realistic to keep up with everything. It certainly looks like this is accounted for in the criteria.

One of the questions that I do have is how the automated analysis works. As I am mostly commenting on student work using my private email rather than university email. Will the system still recognise me?

3 comments:

  1. Annelise the automated system is going to focus on your blog posts. That's why the descriptors talk about "posts" and nothing else. The assumption is that your blog is the main (but not only) evidence of your participation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,

      Do you mean the posts that are all on my main page? The other pages are for my tutoring service.

      Delete
    2. I just realised what you meant, apologies. :D

      Delete