I feel this way when I am writing or creating something that expresses who I am. Whether it is a resource for my learners to help them write in a particular way, or constructing a piece of writing, whether fiction or non-fiction, I feel completely absorbed in the activity, losing track of time and space, almost like someone in love, losing all sight of my worldly existence.
What I have learnt, particularly over the last few years as I have been on a search to find out who I am and what I value the most, is that I seem to be "gifted" in writing across the spectrum, from essay writing to painting entire landscapes through the use of imagery. Indeed, I align with Chekhov's expression, albeit slightly modified, that "non-fiction" is my wife and "fiction" is my lover. I love this expression for it illustrates the nature of learning. We may learn for necessity, as in learning some aspects of a profession or craft that we may not really love but it is necessary to know, or we may learn because we want to know, such as learning about a craft in order to pursue an area that truly provides fulfilment.
One of the most profound insights I have also had is the concept of Personal Knowledge Mastery (PKM). Harold Jarche outlines it as a "set of processes" that helps individuals stay connected in the network era, regardless of their employment status. What I found particularly appealing was the emphasis on individual autonomy and becoming a "master" of one's craft, a craft that is "not directed by external forces," or requiring "management." It is a craft that is developed by the individual because it is in accordance with his or her "abilities, interests and motivation." It is this deeply personal aspect that then enables the individual to acquire the knowledge needed to understand the information and act upon it." Only then can the individual become a "sense-maker" and a "sharer of knowledge." This, as espoused by Jarche, is my aspiration and is what drew me to education in the first place. I wanted, and still do, to be a sharer of knowledge.
One of the goals of NGL, and of my Masters in Learning and Development with USQ, is to "develop an appropriate PKM process" so that I can "continue using it after the course has long completed." This was my major concern before pursuing the Masters. I did not want to engage in a degree that would provide me with endless theory only to have me writing at a more sophisticated level, stuck as a lone voice in an "ivory tower," but not preparing me to be an active contributor to the future of learning and development, particularly in a rapidly changing landscape. Based on my experiences so far I believe I have chosen a degree that will nurture my aspirations, whichever direction I may go.
References:
References:
Downes, S. (2011). “Connectivism” and Connective Knowledge. Retrieved April 09, 2011, from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-downes/connectivism-and-connecti_b_804653.html
No comments:
Post a Comment