Saturday, 9 August 2014

Learning like a Master: the "most powerful tool you can ever grasp"

Have you heard of the Pomodoro Technique? Neither had I until I viewed a TEDx talk by Barbara Oakley called "Learning how to learn." Anything that teaches you how to learn in a more productive and time efficient way, I thought, is always welcomed, particularly as I had began to master the art of procrastinating rather than the art that was my passion.

The idea of Mastering something has always been alluring, and no, being a Procrastination Master is not one of my goals, however good I may be at it. :D Oakley, a Professor of Engineering at Coursera, a massive open online course provider, speaks about what causes procrastination. Rather than blame the individual and label them as "lazy" or "unmotivated," she highlights how when we procrastinate, whether it is from doing our homework, chores or yes, even writing a novel, we have created a habit of avoiding the initial discomfort. What we need to learn, she says, is that the "pain" of doing the activity always goes away once we begin.



I have found that to be true every time. Once I get started I go into "The Zone." Oakley calls this the "focus mode." A mode where you deeply immerse yourself in an activity, in contrast to the "diffuse mode," a relaxed mode that enables you to see the issue or problem rather than being "stuck" on the problem. If one was to stay focused all the time we would be less productive because we would not allow creative thoughts to arise, therefore, we need to also go into the diffuse mode.

The Pomodoro Technique entails the learner using a timer for 25 minutes of "focused attention." After the time has elapsed the individual is to do something "fun," something they enjoy. This strategy is a way of conditioning your brain to begin enjoying the process, particularly as you anticipate the rewards that will follow. I can see this strategy working for me and have already tried it this morning. My fun activity was having a chat with my one of my son's whilst overlooking the Gold Coast. 

What I love about researchers like Oakley is the way they see learning as being pivotal to nurturing human potential. She says that to build mastery of the material, we, regardless of who we are, need to "combine practice with repetition in a variety of circumstances." Only when we practice do we gain "true mastery." She concludes that this is why "learning how to learn is the most powerful tool [we] can ever grasp." I think so too.

What strategies for getting through procrastination, or resistance, do you use?

2 comments:

  1. I am loving the sound of this technique Annelise - off to check out the video now! Fingers crossed it is a strategy that might work for me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anne, I think you'll definitely like it. I'm finding it is working for me, I'm also much more refreshed than doing my study in one massive sitting, my default mode. :)

    Please let me know how you go and what you do to get through resistance.

    ReplyDelete